Camp Sign Up - Double Occupancy
Camp Sign Up - Single Occupancy
HIGH MILEAGE TRAINING CAMP
MARCH 16-22, 2014 MALLORCA, SPAIN
Join Hunter Allen, Scott Moninger, and the rest of the Peaks Coaching Group team for this high mileage foundation training camp in Mallorca, Spain! The island of Mallorca has long been a training paradise for enthusiastic cyclists and triathletes. The terrain has something in store for all abilities, with flat stretches, rolling hills, and winding mountain passes. The Mediterranean beaches, amazing mountain vistas, perfect weather, and abundant opportunities to explore old-world Europe have made this the go-to training location for cyclists and triathletes looking to build their power foundation and get in some base miles for the upcoming season!
The focus of this camp will be base training miles, with plenty of on-the-road coaching from Hunter Allen, Scott Moninger, and the team. Our goal will be to ride 50-100 miles a day while improving your climbing, descending, bike handling, and road skills and building the strong base fitness needed to take make your 2014 epic!
LODGING & ACCOMMODATIONS:
Our four-star hotel, Duva Aparthotel, is located just outside of Pollensa and allows us to access all the amazing riding from the less crowded north side of the island. The hotel features apartment-style rooms, so you can really relax and enjoy your stay. Full-service spa and lifestyle services are available on the property. Check out the video here:
Mallorca boasts native raw materials of the highest quality with an extraordinary flavor that gives its cuisine its character and value. It would not be exaggerating to say that Mallorca’s cuisine is one of the most spectacular in the Mediterranean. From country cooking to simple dishes to fishermen’s cuisine, the recipes have often been passed down from one generation to the next, giving the islands dishes their identity.
- BREAKFAST: Bountiful buffet at the hotel featuring local products made to order
- LUNCH: On-the-road lunches in various locations and settings
- SNACK: Afternoon food/snacks available from the hotel café, pizzeria, and saloon
- DINNER: Amazing dinners at Club Duva featuring wonderful local cuisine
- PARTY: Special “party night” dinner featuring some of the best local dinning in Pollensa and hosted by the PCG team
- BEER & WINE: Included in all meals or at the onsite bars
- ROUTES: Each day will feature one of the island’s premier routes and will focus on helping you build your base by focusing on aerobic fitness and stamina.
- GROUPS: Each day there will be two separate groups on the road. Each group will focus on 70+ miles with at least one major climb.
- All riders should have a good basic fitness to enjoy this camp and be capable of riding 60 miles a day.
- Each day we will head out in two groups for an average of 70-100 miles a day.
- Group 1: avg. 17-20 mph over mixed terrain
- Group 2: avg. 15-17 mph over mixed terrain
- Queue sheets available for those who want to go at their own pace
- COACHING: Hunter, Scott, and the PCG team will ride with you daily, focusing on coaching you and improving your riding.
- Advanced climbing techniques to improve your ability to gain elevation
- Learn how to descend like a pro, from the pros
- Efficiency and economy: learn how to maximize from both how you sit on your bike and how you sit in a paceline
- On-bike nutrition: tips and tricks to keep you rolling all day long.
- POWER FILE REVIEWS: Each day there will be a daily group ride review featuring power analysis from Hunter Allen. This will be done in a group setting to help you learn how to better analyze your efforts.
How you spend the afternoons and evenings is up to you. We suggest you enjoy the amenities; from golf to shopping to just wandering the town of Pollensa, you’ll enjoy taking some time to enjoy the culture of Mallorca.
- For those interested in bringing non-riding spouses, there are plenty of amenities both at and local to the hotel. PCG will be glad to make recommendations of alternative activities and events if you bring your spouse. We do offer a discount of $650 off of the camp price for non-riding spouse attendees.
- Duva Club is an amazing spa and will have a group of discounts for PCG riders on all services ranging from massage to spa treatments.
- SUPPORT: Pro Cycle Hire Mallorca, managed by Bruce & Lisa Griffiths, has a shop on site to offer special bike rental service to all our guests. Their aim is to take away the stress and hassle from your cycling holiday.
- RENTALS: No need to worry about delays or damage caused to your bike while in transit. Travel light and let Pro Cycle Hire take care of providing you with the perfect bike, direct to your hotel or accommodation.
- FITTING: Pro Cycle Hire will measure you up so that your bike fits you perfectly. They also have an in-house bike repair service, managed by professional mechanics.
- INFORMATION: Check out Pro Cycle Hire at: http://www.procyclehire.com/
Things warm up slightly in March in Mallorca in the Balearic Islands, when the average temperature is 12°C (53°F). At this time of the year, highs of up to 17°C (63°F) are common, dropping down to a chilly 6°C (43°F) on an evening after dark. March sees around eight rainy days and as many as seven foggy days, although the number of sunshine hours per day goes up to four. The average sea temperature remains the same as the previous months, at a cool 6°C (43°F).
We will be following a variety of routes throughout the week based on weather, hitting the following highlights:
- Cat 1 Climbing: We will complete both the of the Cat 1 climbs on the Island: Puig Major and Sa Calobra for those who are willing!
- Cat 2 & 3 Climbing: Groups will be also tackling some of the longer but slightly easier climbs on the island, such as Coll de Soller and Puig de Randa.
- Here is a great example of a daily route: http://mallorcacycling.co.uk/mallorca-cycle-routes/classic-climbs/.
- PCG will provide an official ride schedule as part of the information package delivered two weeks before the event.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN YOUR CAMP PACKAGE:
- Clean and tuned bike
- Shorts and jerseys
- Arm, knee, and leg warmers
- Light wind vest
- Light jacket
- Rain jacket
- Lightweight base layers
- Cycling gloves (short finger and long finger)
- Cycling shoes, pedals, and bootie covers
- Power meter and heart rate band
- Sunscreen, chamois crème
- Laptop computer with WKO+ (important to get the most out of camp)
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR CAMP PACKAGE:
- LODGING: Accommodation at the Duva Aparthotel
- TV, refrigerator, bathtub, balcony, and telephone included in the rooms
- MEALS: All meals
- Breakfast with fresh fruit, whole-grain breads, cereals, eggs, pancakes, and local specialties
- Lunch on the road
- Extensive dinner buffet with fresh grilled local fish, salad bar, theme nights, and dessert bar with home-baked pies, ice cream, and more
- COACHING: Daily guided and coached bike tours by the PCG team
- Airline tickets to and from the pick-up or drop-off locations
- Transfer to hotel (provided by hotel; arrangements to be determined)
- Lodging before or after camp dates (March 16-22, 2014)
- Travel insurance (recommended!)
- Gratuities for coaches
- Personal expenses such as laundry, telecommunications, mini bar, spa treatments
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY: $1899
SINGLE OCCUPANCY: Additional $250
*Please note that coach tips are not included in the camp price.
A $500 refundable deposit is due at time of registration. This deposit is refundable up to 90 days prior to the first day of camp. You will be issued a final invoice 28 days before the first day of camp, and final payment is due 21 days before the commencement of your cycling camp; all such payments are final, non-refundable, and non-applicable. Peaks Coaching Group recommends travel insurance in case of emergency cancellation.