The Cadence Calvert-Toefield Memorial Road Race
Kissena Cycling Club
Saturday, September 06, 2008
Weather forecasts called for rain but it never came and the annual Calvert-Toefield Memorial Handicap race was a nail-biter to the end. The Cat 4's started first with the Cat 3's starting 3 minutes later. The Cat 4's held the 3's at bay for the early laps as the Cat 3's struggled to break the 2 minute barrier. With 7 laps to go in the 50 mile race, a 10 rider Cat 3 group escaped from the Cat 3 field to begin a hard-fought chase of the 4's. With 4 laps to go they were 50 seconds behind the 4's and with 2 laps to go they caught the 4's. On the final lap, Marc Adam (Champion Stystem) escaped. As Marc entered the final 200 meters the field was breathing dowm his neck and with only 50 meters to go he was caught. At the line it was Radoslaw Smologa edging out Neil Bezdek (who started the season as a Cat 5). Paul Carbonara rounded out the podium in third place.
Thanks to all the marshals, pacers, officials and Cadence Cycling for supporting our races.
These results are provided for informational purposes only. Please note that
the protest period for this event has expired and no changes can or will be made
to these results.
Category 3-4 Handicap
1. Radoslaw Smologa (Unatt)
2. Neil Bezdek (WS United)
3. Paul Carbonara (CRCA/Axis)
4. Hammean Walker (USI)
5. Brian Breach (Chelsea Bicycles)
6. Marc Adam (Champion System)
7. Samuel Schaeffer (CRCA/Sanchez-Metro)
8. Tadeusz Marszalek (Sommerville Sports)
9. Giancarlo Bianchi (Elite Cycling & Fitness/NYU)
10. Raul Galliano (Westwood Velo)
1. Daniel Perez (Chelsea Bicycles)
2. David Wecht (Tenafly Road Dawgz)
3. Arthur Roulac (CRCA)
4. Max Jiminez (Brooklyn Arches)
5. Aaron Deutsch (Brooklyn Arches)